Wednesday, January 6, 2010

He's here. He's perfect.

Fisher Campbell Owen arrived just before midnight on December 22nd. He weighed in at a healthy 8lbs 4oz. He's just my little slice of heaven. I'm SO in love. Can't believe I ever was unsure about having a boy, because I already can't imagine me without him.

True to form, this complicated pregnancy ended in a just as complicated (and slightly terrifying) way. Fisher had been breech then transverse for the whole 9 months - until he finally turned head down at 37 weeks. Yay! We decided to get induced on the 22nd - we didn't want him to turn back upright, and we were hoping to avoid a hospital run on Christmas Eve or day. In a nutshell, this is what happened:

1. We were told to plan on being at the hospital at 7am (but to call first)

2. We called at 7am and they were full - finally had room for us at 11am

3. Got settled into our room - ultrasound was brought in to make sure baby was still head down (as he HAD been at my doc appointment the day before)

4. Found out Fisher had turned in the night and was now transverse again (BAD BOY)

5. My doc manually turns the baby to head down position (added to the list of things I NEVER want to go through again)

6. Then my water is broken (PAINFUL, BTW)

7. Finally, they get me on pitosin to start the labor.

8. Get epidural

9. After about 7 hours of labor, Fisher's heart rate drops to dangerously low level w/ every contraction.

10. They take me off pitosin to see if his heart rate stabilizes

11. Start up pitosin again - his heart rate drops

12. After 8 hours of labor, doctor says we need emergency c-section. Baby in distress

13. I will add having a c-section to the list of things I NEVER want to experience again. I'm fairly certain that I'm one of a select few women who managed to puke while being cut open on the operating table. Then I felt like I was suffocating. Then I passed out/fell asleep and snored.

Awesome.

Anyhoo - Fisher was born not breathing, so he was whisked away to the neo-natal intensive care for a while (everything is fine). We were able to bring him home on Christmas Eve day. What a gift to have our whole family together on Christmas morning.

Fisher is such a sweetie. Pretty quiet. Not fussy without cause. And Evangeline is just the sweetest sister a boy could ever wish for. Happiness. Our family is complete.















2 comments:

Marty said...

Thank God for happy endings. I love the pictures. And, girl, I can not tell you how thankful I am that everyone is alright. I had a feeling there was more than Scott was telling. How happy I am for you guys, I could never express. Thank you for sharing your story and pictures. A Merry Christmas, indeed. And I am thrilled to see a picture with you in it. You look wonderful. Especially considering all you had just gone through.

Also, I sure hope Evangeline is feeling better.

Annie said...

Awww!!! I'm so relieved that everything turned out O.K. What a great little family you are.